Wednesday, October 30, 2019
Sound Walk
I decided to undertake my sound walk while walking my dog around my neighborhood of Kew Gardens/Jamaica in Queens. The weather happened to be very tame, without much sound of blowing wind. It was early afternoon so, since the morning rush had ended, I would hear a car approach and drive away every so often. The jingling of my dogs collar was a constant sound throughout the walk, something that I had not really noticed in the past because of the music being played too loud as usual into my ears. However, it soon became like background noise, and I hardly noticed it after a while. At a certain point I heard the barking of a couple of dogs in the distance. It didn't sound like they were getting along. A man walked by who was in the middle of a phone call, talking way too loud at that. I had heard some rustling in the trees, most likely coming from some squirrels. Eventually, I noticed that I was not thinking about much of anything. I was simply taking in and enjoying the sounds of the environment around me. I was noticing how I was breathing, and correcting it, almost as if I was doing some sort of meditation. This sound walk was almost like an exercise in mindfulness, and I think I will challenge myself to do it consistently.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment